Skip to content

You've decided to take the next step. Don't worry--we're here to help you. Applying for financial aid is easy!

How to fill out the FAFSA

Are you a Maryland resident?

Complete your FAFSA before March 1 each year for consideration of state financial aid from the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC).  MHEC offers various grants and scholarships, most of which require you to file your FAFSA before March 1.

If you didn't file your FAFSA by March 1, don't worry!  You can still file your FAFSA for federal aid.

Financial aid begins with completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at The FAFSA is your application for grants, loans, and work-study.

The FAFSA becomes available October 1st each year.  You should plan on completing it as soon you plan to attend college.  You must file the FAFSA each year you want to use financial aid.

When completing the FAFSA, be sure to include UB's school code, 002102. UB will determine which financial aid programs you are eligible for based on the results of your FAFSA.

After you have been admitted to UB and we have recieved your FAFSA, we will award you with financial aid. We will notify you at your Univeristy of Baltimore email address (typically It's important to begin checking this email account frequently!

For additional information, click here.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What happens after I receive my award notice?

    The email you receive will direct you to your MyUB Portal to complete the remaining financial aid steps. You will want to complete the "4 Steps to Financial Aid" found in the left-hand column. Specifically, you will want to complete step 2. If you decide to borrow loans, step 3 will also need to be completed. UB will automatically accept grants for you; you will need to accept work-study and loans should you decide you want them.

    If you do not have your login information for MyUB, please click here.

  • How much financial aid should I accept?

    This is up to you! A bill, or charge, will be created on your account after you've registered for classes. You may want to check the tuition and fees webpage to determine how much you will be charged. Consider accepting enough financial aid to cover the cost of your educational expenses. We recommend only borrowing what you need.

  • What happens if I have too much or not enough financial aid?

    If you have more financial aid on your account than your charges total, you will be issued a refund. Refunds are sent from the Office of the Comptroller in Annapolis. It is important that you keep your address up to date at all times. You can expect to receive your refund within 10 business days of seeing "Refund Financial Aid Annapolis" on your student account.

    There are two options for students who do not have enough financial aid to cover their tuition and fee charges. The first option is to enroll in the payment plan offered though Sallie Mae. The second option is to visit the Office of Financial Aid to learn about other financial aid opportunities.

    For additional information about refunds or payment plans, visit the Office of the Bursar's website.

  • Do I have to be full-time to receive financial aid?

    A common myth about financial aid is the full-time requirement to receive aid. While some programs such as state grants from MHEC require full-time enrollment (12 or more credits), federal aid does not require you to enroll full-time. Some programs may have amounts adjusted if you do not enroll full-time like the Pell Grant or institutional scholarships. To remain eligible for most types of financial aid, half-time enrollment (6 to 11.5 credits) is required each semester. For requirements of specific programs, see types of aid or the Office of Financial Aid.

Last Published 4/11/17