Health Administration Degree Requirements
- These requirements apply to students entering this program in fall 2020 and thereafter. Students who enrolled earlier should consult the catalog in effect at the time they enrolled.
- Read the course descriptions.
- If you have prior professional experience in the field, you can complete this degree with 6 fewer credits (39 instead of 45).
This 39- to 45-credit master's program (dependent on your professional experience and transfer credits) requires the following:
Management Core Courses (18 credits)
- The Legal Environment of Health-Care Management (HSMG 630)
- Health-Care Systems, Organization and Management* (HSMG 750)
- Policy Issues in Health Care (HSMG 753)
- Health Administration (HSMG 755)
- Strategic Management in Health Care (HSMG 757)
- Health Systems Management: Organizational Design and Human Resources (HSMG 766)
Epidemiology Core Course (3 credits)
- Epidemiology of Health Services (HSMG 643)
Quantitative Core Courses (9 credits)
Three courses are required.
- Quantitative Tools for Health Systems Management I (HSMG 632)
(This is a prerequisite for the following three courses.)
- Quantitative Tools for Health Systems Management II (HSMG 650)
- Survey Research and Data Analysis for Health Administrators (HSMG 651)
- Health Planning and Program Evaluation (HSMG 691)
Financial/Information Technology Core Courses (12 credits)
Four courses are required.
- Health-Care Management Information Systems (HSMG 695)
- Health Insurance and Prepaid Health Care (HSMG 697)
- Health Finance (HSMG 699)
and one of the following:
- Accounting for Health-Care Organizations (ACCT 761)
- Health Economics (HSMG 701)
Additional Degree Requirement (3 credits)
- Internship (HSMG 752)*
* Students with relevant professional experience may petition a waiver of this course requirement, bringing the total number of credits required down to 42 from 45.