ADARE Partner Publications
This partial list illustrates recent ADARE partner publications, highlighting collaboration among ADARE partners. The list will be updated and expanded to include the reamining partners and new documents. Intentionally omitted in some cases are the multifaceted portfolios of evaluation studies conducted by these ADARE partners with non-ADARE coauthors. Also omitted are many third party evaluation studies supported by one or more ADARE state partners—including Abt Associates, Inc.; Mathematica Policy Research, Inc.; MDRC; and NBER. ADARE partners Georgia State University (Erdal Tekin et al.), the University of Baltimore (David Stevens et al.), and the University of Texas at Austin (Chris King et al.) are not covered here.
Peter Mueser, University of Missouri
- C. Heinrich, P. Mueser, K. Troske, K. Jeon, and D. Kahvecioglu, (forthcoming) "A Nonexperimental Evaluation of WIA Programs," in Doug Besharov and P. Cottingham (Eds.), The Workforce Investment Act: Implementation Experiences and Evaluation Findings, Kalamazoo, Michigan: W.E. Upjohn Institute, forthcoming.
Previous IMPAQ report version: C. Heinrich, P. Mueser, and K. Troske, "Workforce Investment Act Non-Experimental Net Impact Evaluation," Final Report, Employment and Training Administration, U.S. Department of Labor, March 2009 (ETAOP 2009-10) http://wdr.doleta.gov/research/keyword.cfm?fuseaction=dsp_resultDetails&pub_id=2419&mp=y
- P. Mueser, D. Stevens, and K. Troske (2009), "The Impact of Welfare Reform on Leaver Characteristics, Employment and Recidivism: An Analysis of Maryland and Missouri," in James Ziliak (Ed.), Welfare Reform and its Long-Term Consequences for America's Poor, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- C. Heinrich, P. Mueser and K. Troske (2009), "The Role of Temporary Help Employment in Low-wage Worker Advancement," In David Autor (Ed.), Labor Market Intermediaries, Cambridge, MA: National Bureau of Economic Research.
- P. Mueser, K. Troske, and A. Gorislavsky (2007), "Using State Administrative Data to Measure Program Performance," Review of Economic and Statistics (89:4), pp. 761-783.
- A. Dyke, C. Heinrich, P. Mueser, K. Troske, and K. Jeon (2006), "The Effects of Welfare-to-Work Program Activities on Labor Market Outcomes," Journal of Labor Economics (24:3), pp. 567-608.
- C. King and P. Mueser (2005), Welfare and Work: Experiences in Six Cities, Kalamazoo, Michigan: W.E. Upjohn Institute, 2005.
- C. Heinrich, P. Mueser and K. Troske (2005) "Welfare to Temporary Work: Implications for Labor Market Outcomes," Review of Economic and Statistics (87:1), pp. 154-173.
- P. Mueser and D. Stevens (2003), "Low Income and Welfare Client Priorities: Patterns of Earnings and Welfare Receipt for Workforce Investment Act Participants," in A Compilation of Selected Papers from the Employment and Training Administration's 2003 Biennial National Research Conference, Washington: U.S. Department of Labor, pp. 282-295.
Chris Jepsen, University of Kentucky
- C. Jepsen, P. Mueser and K. Troske (2010), "Labor-Market Returns to the GED Using Regression Discontinuity Analysis," under review, American Economic Journal – Applied Economics.
- C. Jepsen, K. Troske and P. Coomes (2009), "The Labor-Market Returns for Community College Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates," under review, Journal of Labor Economics.
- C. Jepsen and M. Montgomery (2009), "Miles to Go before I Learn: The Effect of Travel Distance on the Mature Person's Choice of a Community College," Christopher Jepsen and Mark Montgomery, Journal of Urban Economics, 65(1), pp. 64-73.
Kevin Hollenbeck, W.E. Upjohn Institute
- K. Hollenbeck (2009), Does the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) Work? Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management (APPAM) paper presentation. Washington, DC.
- K. Hollenbeck (2009), Workforce Investment Act (WIA) Net Impact Estimates and Rates of Return, EC-Sponsored Conference on "What the European Social Fund Can Learn from Experience with the Workforce Investment Act." Washington, DC.
- K. Hollenbeck (2009), Return on Investment Analyses of a Selected Set of Workforce System Programs in Indiana, Indiana Chamber of Commerce Foundation.
- K. Hollenbeck (2008), State Use of Workforce System Net Impact Estimates and Rates of Return, Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management (APPAM) paper presentation, Los Angeles, CA.
- K. Hollenbeck and W. Huang (2008), Workforce Program Performance Indicators for the Commonwealth of Virginia. Upjohn Institute Technical Report No. 08-024.
- K. Hollenbeck and W. Huang (2006), Net Impact and Benefit-Cost Estimates of the Workforce Development System in Washington State. Upjohn Institute Technical Report No. TR06-020.
- K. Hollenbeck, D. Schroeder, C. King and W. Huang (2005), Net Impact Estimates for Services Provided through the Workforce Investment Act, Project report submitted to U.S. Department of Labor.
- K. Hollenbeck (2004), Using Administrative Data for Workforce Development Program Evaluation, National Workforce Investment Research Colloquium presentation, U.S. Department of Labor.
- K. Hollenbeck and W. Huang (2003), Net Impact and Benefit-Cost Estimates of the Workforce Development System in Washington State. Upjohn Institute Technical Report No. 03-018.
Joshua Hawley, The Ohio State University
- J. D. Hawley (2010A), Status of adults in community and technical colleges: Intermediate and long term outcomes based on the Achieving the Dream measures, draft report for the Ohio Board of Regents.
- J. D. Hawley (2010B), Educational Outcomes for Adults in Developmental Education In Ohio Community Colleges: Findings from a 2002 Cohort Analysis, draft report for the Ohio Board of Regents.
- J. D. Hawley (2008), Career Pathways Initiative Final Report For the Knowledge Works Foundation, Columbus, OH: College of Education and Human Ecology, The Ohio State University.
- J. D. Hawley, E. Melendez, et al. (2004), Ohio Higher Skills Partnership Evaluation: A review of the development of partnerships between Enterprise Ohio Network Campuses and Adult Workforce Education Centers. Columbus, OH: Center on Education and Training for Employment, The Ohio State University.
- J. D. Hawley and D. Sommers (2003), The Labor Market Outcomes of Ohio Adult Workforce Education Students. Columbus, OH: Center on Education and Training for Employment, The Ohio State University.
- J. D. Hawley (2001), Closed Cases Study, Columbus, OH: Center for Human Resources Research.
Carl Van Horn et al., Rutgers University
- William Mabe (2007), Evaluation of the Institute for Social Justice Newark/Essex Construction Careers Consortium, New Jersey Institute for Social Justice.
- Carl Van Horn, Aaron Fichtner, and Julie Whittaker (2000), An Evaluation of the Workforce Development Partnership Program, New Jersey State Employment and Training Commission.
Florida Department of Education (example of third-party partnership)
- Lou Jacobson and C. Mokher (2008), Pathways to Boosting the Earnings of Low-Income Students by Increasing Their Educational Attainment, prepared for the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation by The Hudson Institute and CNA.