Ways to Accelerate Your Academic Pursuits in Accounting
Accelerating your graduate degree may save you time and money.
We have created several pathways for students to pursue more advanced academic degrees by developing the Accelerated Bachelor's to Master's program and a special pathway for students at one of our University System of Maryland sister institution, UMBC.
Learn more about these options below.
Catherine Frediani, M.S. ’17 (accounting and business advisory services) is a goal setter. As an undergraduate at UMBC, the Ellicott City native majored in financial economics and was a member of the Retrievers’ swim team. Like many undergraduate students, she spent time discovering what career path was right for her. That is, until she began taking accounting courses. While completing the requirements for an accounting certificate, Frediani learned about the academic partnership between UMBC and the University of Baltimore. Basically, it’s an accelerated pathway into UB’s M.S. in Accounting and Business Advisory Services program for UMBC students.
“UB’s Accounting program had the flexibility I needed to complete my degree in one year,” Frediani said. “The firm where I did my internship last summer hired me to be auditing associate, starting in July. I needed to fast-track my degree. I looked at several programs in Maryland and discovered UB’s program aligned better with my goals. One of the best things about the program was that courses were available year-round. Some were online and the program was not lock-step. It allowed me to maximize my time and earn my degree. And best of all, I found that the courses were applicable to the real world, so much so that I didn’t just memorize the information—I now just know it.
"The accelerated program has allowed me to gain further experience in my field while waiting to attend graduate school. In my last semester at UB, I only had one class left to finish up my undergraduate degree requirements. I wanted to continue to be enrolled full-time, but I did not want to take electives that would not count towards anything. Through the accelerate program, I was able to take classes that would give me a head start on my graduate degree. Not only did this get me ahead of the game, but it also saved me a large amount of money, since the graduate classes were billed at the undergraduate cost."
Bachelor's to Master's in Accounting
If you qualify, you may take up to 9 graduate credits that apply to both your bachelor's degree and your master's degree.
You can take advantage of this option only if you are continuously enrolled at the University of Baltimore for the entirety of your undergraduate and graduate education (that is, you can’t take advantage of this option and then take a year off before finishing the rest of your graduate degree).
To be considered for the program you need to:
• have a cumulative GPA of 3.5;
• satisfy the prerequisites required for the M.S. in Accounting and Business Advisory program;
• obtain permission of the instructor and the Department of Accounting.
Accelerated Pathway to M.S. in Accounting and Business Advisory Services for UMBC Undergraduate Accounting Certificate/B.S. in Financial Economics Students
University of Baltimore and UMBC have developed an accelerated pathway program for YOU to earn Masters in Accounting while filling the requirement for the CPA licensure in Maryland—and to gain comprehensive technical accounting skills too.
• UB’s affordable program is uniquely designed to prepare you for several paths in public
accounting with specific a strong focus on CPA exam preparation.
• UB has seasoned accounting faculty and the majority of whom are CPAs actively engaged in the accounting profession.
• UB will accept up to four (4) UMBC graduate courses in economics, information systems,engineering management and computer science towards UB Master of Accounting and Business Advisory Services degree program.
• UB is connected with all major CPA firms in Maryland. In fact, for over 15 years and counting, the University of Baltimore has had the honor of having the most alumni leading the Baltimore-area’s largest accounting firms.
• UB provides excellent employment recruiting opportunities through the Merrick School of Business Chapter of Beta Alpha Psi, National Honorary Accounting Society.
• UB courses are offered in the evening and periodically online which is uniquely suited for working professionals.
UMBC courses transferable to University of Baltimore's M.S. in Accounting and Business Advisory Services program. Printable Flyer