Skip to content

UB is committed to providing an environment conducive to students’ learning and pursuit of their educational goals. Student inquiries and concerns about services, a business process, or other elements of a student’s UB experience may be addressed informally through, for example, communication with staff or faculty member associated with a service or academic program. Suggestions for improvements may also be made through these channels.

UB policies and procedures are in place to address student complaints should they arise. A complaint here is defined as a grievance for which a student seeks resolution and that prompts a documented formal procedure. Certain complaints have specific processes and points of contact (for example, sexual misconduct or grade complaints). All students admitted to UB are expected to follow UB policies and procedures, including those related to the code of conduct. More information may be found at the following locations on the UB website:

The general UB student complaint process addresses complaints not covered by other specific policies.

UB, a public university and constituent institution of the University System of Maryland (USM), is regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), 3624 Market St., Philadelphia PA  19104; (267) 284-5000. The US Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education accreditation recognize MSCHE as an accrediting body for higher education. MSCHE has a policy posted on its website regarding student complaints. UB’s current MSCHE Statement of Accreditation Status is posted on the MSHCE website. UB’s Accreditation web page provides information on specialized accreditations.

UB academic degree and certificate programs are approved by the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC), which has a process for handling student complaints, including those from out-of-state online students.  Maryland is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA), as is UB.

Distance Learning and Federal Student Complaint Regulations

Federal law requires colleges and universities to provide accreditation information for the institution and contact information for each state’s student complaint process. Information on the agency contacts for complaint processes can be found through the links below. Note that agencies may require students to exhaust institution-specific processes before they will act. For distance education complaints about institutions based in a state that is not the student’s home state, students may use also SARA to address complaints after they exhaust institutional procedures.




Alabama Commission on Higher Education (click on Student Complaint Contacts)


Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education



Arkansas Dept. of Higher Education


Complaint Process


Colorado Department of Higher Education Complaint Process


Connecticut Office of Higher Education Complaint Process


Delaware Department of Education

District of Columbia

Higher Education Licensure Commission


Florida Department of Education


Complaint Process


Hawaii Post-secondary Education Authorization Program

Idaho; for certain practices, complaints would go to the Office of the Attorney General, Division of Consumer Protection


Illinois Board of Higher Education


Complaint Process Indiana Commission for Higher Education


Complaint Process


Complaint Process


Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education


State of Louisiana Board of Regents


State of Maine, Department of Education


Maryland Higher Education Commission


Complaint Process Massachusetts Department of Higher Education


Michigan Department of Education


Complaint Process


Mississippi Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning


Missouri Department of Higher Education


Montana University System


Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education for process; contact information at


Complaint Process Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education

New Hampshire

Complaints regarding non-compliance with agency New Hampshire Code of Administrative Rules, made to Executive Director of the Commission.
New Hampshire Postsecondary Education Commission

New Jersey

State of New Jersey Commission on Higher Education

New Mexico

New Mexico Higher Education Department

New York

Complaint Process New York State (NYSED) Office of Higher Education

North Carolina

If the complaint cannot be resolved after exhausting the institution's grievance procedure, the student may file a complaint with the following office: Post-Secondary Education Complaints, c/o Assistant Director of Licensure and Workforce Studies, University of North Carolina General Administration. 910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688, telephone (919) 962-4558. The student may contact UNC General Administration for further details.
The Board of Governors, The University of North Carolina

North Dakota

North Dakota State Board of Higher Education


The Ohio Board of Regents


Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education


Oregon Student Assistance Commission, Office of Degree Authorization


Pennsylvania Department of Education

Rhode Island

Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education

South Carolina

South Carolina Commission on Higher Education Complaint Process

South Dakota

South Dakota Board of Regents


Tennessee Higher Education Commission


Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board


Complaint Process – Utah Consumer Protection Agency


State of Vermont, Department of Education


State Council of Higher Education for Virginia -


West Virginia

West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission -


State of Wisconsin Educational Approval Board Wisconsin Complaint Process


If the complaint involves an issue relative to authorization, the Wyoming Department of Education contacts the institution to ensure that the institution is compliant with Wyoming State law. For complaints not related to authorization, the complainant is encouraged to try to resolve the issue through their institution's formal grievance procedures. Depending on the nature of the complaint, the complainant may also be referred to the Consumer Protection Division of the Wyoming Attorney General's Office. Please contact the Wyoming Department of Education at 307-777-6210.

Last Published 5/15/17