The Riehl Deal
William K. Riehl, LL.B. ’48, now 95, began his UB career in the 1930s but returned to a post-war University in 1945. Thanks in part to an influx of returning veterans, the UB of 70 years ago grew rapidly, as chronicled in The Baloo, the student newspaper at the time.
- The first post-war issues of The Baloo were published following a hiatus during World War II.
- Frankie Skaff, the former Orioles’ third baseman, joined UB as the coach of its baseball team.
- UB acquired Baltimore Public School No. 49 (known as Robert E. Lee School) to handle the overflow of students attending evening classes, a result of a student population swell due to returning veterans. The school allowed UB to accommodate 250 additional students, bringing its enrollment to a record 1,662.
- UB purchased the former Baltimore Athletic Club at 1420 N. Charles St. (now the Academic Center) to provide additional recreational facilities, a cafeteria, classrooms, a student lounge and offices.
- WMAR-TV first began broadcasting to Baltimore and Central Maryland on Oct. 27, 1947. It was the 14th television station in the United States and the first in Maryland. Langsdale Library’s Special Collections is the repository for the footage from the original broadcasts.
- UB’s first wrestling team was founded; it disbanded in 1983.
- Its first soccer squad launched.
- The UB Bees were admitted to the NCAA’s Mason-Dixon Conference.