UBalt Sustainability is housed in Facilities Management. We seek partnership with students, faculty, and staff on sustainability initiatives that make our campus and community a place of innovation and implementation. We encourage you to connect with us to discuss your ideas and interests. Here are ways you can get started:
VolunteerOur events throughout the year need energetic volunteers to be successful. From planting trees, to speakers, to our environmental film series, there are many ways to get involved. We also welcome ambassadors to help create a campus wide culture of sustainability.
Good habits and leadership
Help us be a greener campus by developing good habits and encouraging your friends and colleagues. Even better, make an individual, group, or department commitment to reduce your impact by:
- Turn off your monitor and log off your computer. It's easy to turn off your monitor every time you leave your office for more than 20 minutes.
- Turn off the lights. If you leave your office for more than five minutes, turn them off. Many of our offices now have sensors that automatically turn lights on and off.
- Unplug any devices not in use. Plugged-in devices consume energy, even when you're not using them. Consider unplugging before vacations.
- Eat less meat. Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation. Learn more through the campaign Meatless Monday.
- Use a power strip. Switching off a power strip allows you to turn off devices all at once. Turning off appliances is more efficient than leaving them in idle mode.
- Use energy-efficient devices. Use Energy Star equipment; it pays for itself.
- Be smart with your blinds. Block extreme heat or cold by closing your blinds. At normal temperatures, turn off the lights, open the blinds and allow natural sunlight to brighten your office.
- Dress appropriately. If it's cold, put on an extra sweater. Avoid energy-hogging space heaters.
- Use the revolving doors. It helps keep the warm air in winter and the cold in summer inside the building.
- Reduce, reuse and recycle. Print less, use less, print in black and white, recycle what you can and use recycled items.
- Take the stairs. Not the elevator.
- Live and shop locally. It’s green to invest close by.
- Walk, bicycle, and use transit. Use less fossil fuels.