Click here to view a list of current vacancies.
Desktop Support Manager
Office of Technology Services
Vacancy number 301213
Position Type: Regular, full-time exempt position with full, competitive benefits package
Opens: 03/20/23 Re-opens: 03/20/23 Closes: Open Until Filled
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications
• excellent tuition remission benefits
• outstanding health benefits plans and rates
• at least 11 paid holidays each year
• 40 days of annual, personal, and sick leave each year, including 20+ annual leave days
• great retirement plans
The Desktop Support Manager determines the most appropriate personal computing technologies and configurations for use by students, faculty and staff, supporting the mission of the University by providing a positive student experience, enabling excellence in teaching and learning, and supporting efficiency and effectiveness of administrative operations. They provide leadership and oversight for a team that supports all aspects of the user experience when working with a University-owned desktop or laptop computer, whether in a classroom, computer lab, office or working from home. The manager manages technicians’ work assignments, priorities and support coverage; they are responsible for all related projects, tasks and support tickets. The manager serves as the primary point of contact for escalation to resolve issues that are beyond the skill set and knowledge of team members. They develop and propose skill development plans both for the team and campus community based on technologies in use or planned. The manager is responsible for development and maintenance of comprehensive team documentation for the support of the campus technology environment as well as team compliance with all applicable regulations and policies regarding personal computing hardware and software.
We look forward to receiving your required electronic application with a cover letter and resume and learning about your interest in and qualifications for our vacancy. Please save your required cover letter and resume as one document (please make the file name short and without spaces or special characters) and attach it in the resume location. To apply, visit http://www.ubalt.edu/candidate_gateway/erecruit.html. Additional instructions below.
Personal Computing Services Operations: Participates in the daily operations of the team in support of an ongoing positive user experience for the campus community.
• Provides hands-on assistance addressing problems or requests for support reported by the campus community in a timely manner.
• Actively takes part in tier 2 and 3 troubleshooting of computing issues.
• Provides guidance and assists in the resolution of issues escalated by technicians.
• Assists with the installation and performance of minor repairs to hardware, software, or peripheral equipment, following design or installation specifications.
• Assists in maintaining, updating and deploying computer images.
• Verifies the deployment of software patches and updates.
• Assists with the replacement of defective hardware components.
• Reviews, tests, and prepares for changes in existing computer operating systems.
• Assists with the coordination of multiple service requests.
• Delivers computer hardware to customers.
• As needed, provides OTS Call Center support coverage.
Personal Computing Services Management: Oversees and adjusts team operations and services leading to efficient support that results in a high-level of user satisfaction.
• Triages all support tickets and reported issues on at least a daily basis, prioritizing as appropriate and escalating when necessary, in support of timely resolution of issues.
• Effectively and efficiently manages the work assignments of team members.
• Regularly reviews tickets to identify trends and common issues, providing guidance and/or developing solutions to improve user experience, avoid incidents and thereby reduce future ticket volume.
• Based on tickets and reported issues, recommends campus wide training programs to reduce future ticket volume.
• Ensures team documents and updates all correspondence and relevant internal information related to work assignments or tickets in the support tracking system.
• Mentors team members on communication with the campus community, support ticket management, escalation processes, and assessing escalation for prioritization.
• Monitors team performance for service level compliance, ensuring that work and user support meets or exceeds standards and expectations.
• Develops project plans as appropriate, leads projects, manages task assignments and tracks deadlines.
• Maintains regular communication with the OTS management team to address ongoing issues and future needs.
• Identifies team training needs and develops plans to address those needs.
• Organizes and leads skill development and educational sessions for team members on growth opportunities and emerging technologies.
Personal Computing Hardware and Configuration Standards: Determines the most appropriate personal computing technologies and configurations for use by students, faculty and staff, providing a positive, productive and effective user experience.
• Determines and manages hardware standards and lifecycles.
• Develops and maintains approach for enabling an effective user experience, including but not limited to Active Directory domain configuration, mobile device management, network printing and end point protection.
• Develops and maintains software images for the efficient deployment and maintenance of computing devices.
• Oversees process and monitors effectiveness of providing application and operating systems updates to computing devices.
• Remains current and informed of technology trends and changes by attending trainings, presentations and reading online industry content.
Technology Budgeting and Procurement: Plans and executes technology purchases in support of timely replacement and renewal of existing equipment, and availability of equipment for new employees.
• Oversees ongoing program for the renewal and replacement of personal computing technology for employees, putting forward budget forecasts as requested.
• Responsible for engagement of new employees to determine their technology requirements.
• Coordinates planning and execution of purchases of classroom and computer lab computing with the Manager of Instructional Technology.
• Responsible for the tracking, receiving and tagging of equipment.
• Reviews and approves departmental and business unit purchases related to hardware and software.
• Manages relevant software license purchase, usage monitoring and renewal.
Team and User Documentation: Develops and maintains documentation in support of team capability continuity, knowledge transfer and user self-service.
• Develops and maintains accurate documentation of team operations, processes and configurations.
• Documents and periodically reviews service level agreements.
• Develops, maintains and periodically reviews user-facing webpages for accuracy and applicability.
Required Education: Baccalaureate degree in information technology, computer science, business, engineering, or other related field or discipline contributing to the successful performance of position responsibilities.
Four years of supervisory IT experience may be substituted for the required educational requirement. Technical credentials and certifications may be substituted for a year of experience or education at the discretion of the supervisor.
Preferred Education: Microsoft Technology Professional certification
Required Experience: Four years progressively responsible experience in IT personal computing support. One year of experience in a supervisory role.
Preferred Experience: Six years progressively responsible experience in IT desktop support. Two years’ experience in a supervisory role.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Effective oral and written communication skills. Strong customer-centric focus. Ability to develop business requirements and project documentation. Highly organized and able to develop, place and track hardware orders, maintain an up-to-date inventory and hardware refresh schedule, and manage department budgets. Ability to develop and maintain professional relationships with vendors. Ability to provide technical advice for long range hardware and software strategy and policy development. Strategic and analytical thinking skills with an ability to solve problems and make timely and well-informed decisions. Ability to partner and provide input with other technology teams to address issues. Ability to manage and mentor different levels of staffing and create development plans. Ability to perform effective performance evaluations. Ability to triage support requests and prioritize staff assignments. Strong knowledge of Windows, MacOS operating systems and application software. Strong knowledge of desktop, laptop and tablet hardware. Strong knowledge and ability to design, assist with development and deployment of computer images. Working knowledge of SCCM, Microsoft Deployment Tools, Microsoft Intune, Active Directory, and related group policies.
The University of Baltimore ("UBalt" or "University") does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, religion, age, disability, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other legally protected characteristics in its programs, activities or employment practices. UBalt is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.
We appreciate your interest in our recruitment. Please review the information below before you visit http://www.ubalt.edu/candidate_gateway/erecruit.html to apply.
We need to receive your electronic application in our system by the vacancy closing date in order to consider you for the vacancy. Information follows about submitting the electronic application and attaching your cover letter and resume.
Applicant Instructions: Using Candidate Gateway to View and Apply for UB Vacancies
The Candidate Gateway system serves as your connection to the University of Baltimore’s job application process. It is a free, safe and secure way for you to apply for the job you want, and it allows the Office of Human Resources to maintain accurate records. Your use of the system does not require you to surrender any of your rights to privacy or confidentiality during the application process. Only qualified members of UB’s Human Resources team and members of the relevant search committee can access your application information. The search committee will not have access to any information you provide to HR for affirmative action reporting purposes.
Please read and print the information below before you apply, and refer to it as you enter your application.
A - COVER LETTER AND RESUME ATTACHMENT AND UPLOAD
Before you apply:
• Save one PDF or Word file with your cover letter, resume, and any additional information you would like to have considered.
When you apply:
•In Candidate Gateway: Click “Browse” to access the Word or PDF document you saved with all of your documents.
•Then, click “Upload” to attach it.
•Click “Continue” to continue the application process.
B - ENTER DATA ON THE FOLLOWING PAGES:
Each page shows this display:
Previous Save Submit Close Application Careers Home NEXT
above and below the required data for the four categories shown above.
Click “Save” to save the data you entered on that page. The message “You have successfully submitted your job application.” confirms only that you entered that page of information into the system. You must click “Next” to continue and complete the entire application process.
1. Current and Prior Employment/Work Experience:
•Enter employment information relevant to your position of interest.
•You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
•After you enter your work experience, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
2. Education/Education History and References:
•Use the dropdown to enter your highest education level. Entering this information is required.
•Then, only college and university information is required. Click the plus sign to the left of the “Postsecondary Education” link to enter that information.
•For country, enter USA or click the hourglass to select another country.
•You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
•Click the plus sign to the left of "References" to enter two professional references.
•After you enter your education information and references, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
3. How did you find out about us/how did you find out about the job?
•After you enter this information, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
4. Online Questionnaire/Application Questionnaire: Answer the questions requiring a yes or no response. After you answer them, click “Submit.” This leads you to the Submit Online Application page.
C – SUBMIT ONLINE APPLICATION
To apply for your selected job: When you reach the “Submit Online Application” page shown below, you must click “I agree to these terms” and then click the “Submit” button at the end of the screen. After you click “Submit,” then you will see this information at the top of your screen:
Thank you for your interest in employment at the University of Baltimore. HR will process your application documents for the search committee’s consideration.
Note: This screen will also show additional information about the selection process and Office of Human Resources contact information.
If you have trouble viewing our job postings or applying for the vacancy, contact email@example.com for assistance.
External applicants: Review the vacancy announcement at http://www.ubalt.edu/candidate_gateway/erecruit.html and click the external applicant link to apply.
Internal applicants (students taking classes at UB and current employees) with login and password for MyUB: use the internal applicant link, log into My UB, then click the “View or Apply for Job Positions” link on the left.
UB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.
- Never use the Internet Explorer “Back” and “Forward” arrows to navigate. You will lose the information you have submitted.
- To navigate between pages, use the “Next,” “Previous,” and “Return to Previous Page” buttons.
- Use the “Save” button to save your information so you can return to it later and complete your application. Using “Save” does not complete the process to apply for a job opening.
UBalt is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.
The University of Baltimore ("UBalt" or "University") does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, religion, age, disability, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other legally protected characteristics in its programs, activities or employment practices.