For more information and for rates, contact
Where we are:
University of Baltimore
Academic Center, Suite 239
1420 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
The lab can be reserved for scheduled research between the hours of 9:30 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Rent the User Research Lab
The UB User Research Laboratory and research services can be rented on a full-day or half-day basis, enabling businesses and organizations to take advantage of cutting-edge research tools in a university applied research setting. The rental includes the assistance of a graduate student to set up and run the eye-tracking equipment. For further information and rates, please contact Kathryn Summers.
Why conduct user research?
User research ensures your intended audience can carry out tasks—such as purchasing items, identifying relevant information and communicating with appropriate parties—efficiently, effectively and satisfactorily. Therefore, user research can help your organization:
- achieve more sales, higher productivity and better customer satisfaction ratings
- reduce the number of support calls and complaints
- alleviate the need for training
- minimize maintenance and repair costs.
Our research services provide high-quality support for your user research needs.
The User Research staff, led by Professor Kathryn Summers in the Division of Science, Information Arts and Technologies, provides support to complement your research needs. This may include:
- eye-tracking setup
- technical support of data collection
- data export
- complete study design*
- data analysis*
- report generation*
- consultation on and review of test protocols
- Tobii eye-tracker recording of participant actions and speech as .avi data files
- data file transfer to a fire-wire hard drive provided by the client
- six months archiving of the study database.
* may incur additional costs to be negotiated separately
Hear from our clients...
"We've enjoyed using the usability lab at the University of Baltimore to test both PC- and browser-based games. It is conveniently located in the heart of Baltimore and has up-to-date equipment and recording software, and we really enjoy having the real-time eye-tracking capacity. The staff are professional and courteous, and we look forward to running many more studies in their lab."
— Jason Schklar, Initial Experience Consulting
"We love working with the UB Usability Lab. They have the latest eye-tracking equipment and assistants who'll help you set up and analyze your test results. Their location next to Penn Station also makes it convenient for D.C.-area people. They're very professional, knowledgeable and friendly."
— Nicole Burton, user experience evangelist, U.S. General Services Administration
The User Research Lab's past clients include:
• Human Factors International
• Redish & Associates
• National Cancer Institute
• L’Oreal Mexico
• U.S. Food and Drug Administration
• U.S. Department of the Treasury's Bureau of the Public Debt
• MD State Board of Elections
• My Medicare Matters
• PNC Bank
• Department of Justice