Click here to view a list of current vacancies.
Information Technology Specialist
Center for Drug Policy and Enforcement
Vacancy Number 301088
Position Type: Faculty position with full, competitive benefits package
Opens: 09/01/20 Closes: Open Until Filled
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications
Position is open until filled, and applications received by September 16, 2020 will receive priority consideration.
The Information Technology Specialist (ITS) is a full time position located at the Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center and works in a team to provide support to over 90 public safety and intelligence personnel in support of Maryland’s State Fusion Center, the Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center (MCAC). The position reports to an Information Technology Operations Specialist and the Information Technology Program Director supporting the organization-wide information technology (IT) program in a multi-agency homeland security and intelligence fusion center serving multiple jurisdictions in Maryland. The position supports the management of day to day security, operations, and technical health of all supported software, networks, desktops, and systems operating in the Fusion Center. The ITS serves as the principle in the management, development and providing user level training for the Center’s SharePoint, secure and open websites, social media related tools and applications, external portal sites, other information sharing tools and applications, secure and open telephone and video conference applications, and all matters related to deskside IT support. The position responsible, as directed, to participate in internal IT related meetings, provide relevant IT related training to users, and to assist in the evaluation of third party applications. The ITS supports all processes related analytical functions including research, analysis and reporting on criminal vulnerabilities, risks, and threats the State of Maryland and the Mid-Atlantic region. This ITS provides overarching support in developing and supporting statewide collaboration, information sharing, liaison, training and outreach activities. Position is contingent upon funding.
We look forward to receiving your required electronic application with a cover letter and resume and learning about your interest in and qualifications for our vacancy. Please save your required cover letter and resume as one document and attach it in the resume location.
The position supports the management of day to day security, operations, and technical health of all supported software, networks, desktops, and systems operating in the Fusion Center with a focus on the following systems or functions:
• SharePoint – Responsible for coordinating with vendors, managing design, workflows, content display/functionality, overall maintenance, security and updates of the system, and facilitating and delivering training to MCAC general users.
• Secure and open websites – Works with vendor to manage the design and structure of the site, including all applications used in the management of the sites; provides and/or coordinates training for MCAC website content providers and ensuring site security is up to date, all content and links are functional, and provides regular evaluation, assessment of website health and traffic on a monthly basis to the ITOS and Executive Staff. Repairs or coordinates with content managers to repair broken links or improperly organized/displayed content.
• Social media related tools and applications – Manages any social media related tools, applications and accounts – works with Policy Officer and ITOS to set-up and evaluate accounts, ensures practices are in accordance with security policies and procedures and supports policy compliance during monthly, quarterly or annual audits.
• External portals and sites – Works with Policy, Programs and Requirement Division to assist in the management of non-MCAC owned portals and sites. Assists with security assurance/evaluation, user account and site design/content needs.
• Other information sharing and collaboration tools and applications – includes the management and oversight of secure and open telephone and video conference applications, File Transfer applications including FTP and other File transfer tools.
• Deskside IT support – Responsible for the receipt, configuration, deployment, installation, monitoring, support and maintenance of all agency desktop and mobile computers, software, printers, and telephone and network communications. Diagnoses, maintains, repairs and services computer peripherals including monitors, desktops, printers, modems and other equipment. Provide remote and deskside support for network/computer issues, to include off-site work.
Supports the ITOS in the following functions:
• Proactively monitors all existing production systems, servers, and infrastructure, networking and desktop systems including web performance, network availability, and security.
• Service requests for issues that could lead to a potential outage or degradation of services.
• Supports and assists detectives and prosecutors directly in the compilation and analysis of case specific information in order to more effectively reach law enforcement objectives.
• Assist with Servers, LAN/WAN technologies, computer repair/troubleshooting software, networks, virus protection, Wi-Fi technology, and more.
• Install, test, and monitor servers, firewalls and new software.
Assists the in inventory controls and management processes: supports the director in making ICT related purchases which include evaluating needs, identifying products, identifying funding, administering procurement processing to the host agency, receiving equipment and implements inventory accountability procedures.
Provides input to and supports the Information Technology Program Director in the following functions:
• Development of short-term, mid-term, and long-term Information and Communications Technology maintenance, sustainment, and expansion strategies:
• Continuity of operations planning as it relates to information communication technology services needed during onsite of offsite activities and crisis.
• Evaluating and implementing onsite and offsite backups and operations capabilities.
• Development and maintenance of five year strategic plan for ICT needs and assists in developing budgetary requirements to sustain, maintain, and expand ICT capabilities.
• Assistance with the design, implementation, and ongoing support of new software and features.
Participate in Continuing Education, and participate and/or lead Information Technology and security training: attendance of continuing education and training opportunities for advancing technology to remain current with all necessary systems and procedures and participating in and/or leading information technology and security training.
**Employee may be required to work outside of normal duty hours including weekends and holidays or on call during outages, upgrades, significant or special events and during crises or high-level investigations related to terrorism and criminal activities.
**Employee works in an office environment and must be able to stand, bend, and squat; able to lift and move up to 50 lbs. as it pertains to files, supplies, personal office equipment, computers, etc.
Required and Preferred Qualifications
Education: Baccalaureate degree in Computer Science, Management Information Services, or related field is required; experience may be substituted for education on a year for year basis. A Master’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Management Information Services or related field is preferred.
Experience: Three years developing and managing a network, databases, and personal computer for an organization is required.Ten or more years’ experience developing and managing a network, databases, and personal computer for an organization is preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Demonstrated interest in IT troubleshooting, providing a better solution, and self-improvement. Previous experience as a help desk technician, computer technician, and IT Support. Able to work independently with little supervision or direction. Experience with government agencies that demonstrate the ability to meet the above described responsibilities. Although not required, prefer candidate certified CompTIA A+, Network+, MCP or similar certifications. Able to install, operate, administer, and maintain information processing systems, peripheral equipment, and associated auxiliary devices. Should be familiar with installing, configuring and operating Network security, backup and hardware configurations for Microsoft and Linux bases systems. Familiar with interfacing with external LAN/WAN devices. Able to troubleshoot automation equipment and systems to a degree required for isolation of malfunctions to specific hardware or software and then restore equipment to operation. Able to draft associated technical documentation for reference and maintenance purposes of various information processing equipment and systems. Able to conduct quality assurance of Automated Data Processing Equipment (ADPE) operations and equipment.
Knowledgeable of, and able to, ensure compliance with applicable state and federal directives governing Network and System security and physical security. Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office Products, to include, but not limited to: Word, Access, Excel, and PowerPoint. Experience with website management, SharePoint, and Social Media applications. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Experience working with federal, state and local law enforcement databases. Displays commitment to continuous professional development and education. Prior law enforcement information technology support experience. Participate in and/or lead conference sessions related to Fusion Center Information Technology programs and operations.
The University of Baltimore ("UB" or "University") does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, religion, age, disability, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other legally protected characteristics in its programs, activities or employment practices. UB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.
We appreciate your interest in our recruitment. Please review the information below before you visit http://www.ubalt.edu/candidate_gateway/erecruit.html to apply.
We need to receive your electronic application in our system in order to consider you for the vacancy. Information follows about submitting the electronic application and attaching your required cover letter and resume.
Applicant Instructions: Using Candidate Gateway to View and Apply for UB Vacancies
The Candidate Gateway system serves as your connection to the University of Baltimore’s job application process. It is a free, safe and secure way for you to apply for the job you want, and it allows the Office of Human Resources to maintain accurate records. Your use of the system does not require you to surrender any of your rights to privacy or confidentiality during the application process. Only qualified members of UB’s Human Resources team and members of the relevant search committee can access your application information. The search committee will not have access to any information you provide to HR for affirmative action reporting purposes.
Please read and print the information below before you apply, and refer to it as you enter your application.
A - COVER LETTER AND RESUME ATTACHMENT AND UPLOAD
Before you apply:
• Save one PDF or Word file with your cover letter, resume, and any additional information you would like to have considered.
When you apply:
•In Candidate Gateway: Click “Browse” to access the Word or PDF document you saved with all of your documents.
•Then, click “Upload” to attach it.
•Click “Continue” to continue the application process.
B - ENTER DATA ON THE FOLLOWING PAGES:
Each page shows this display:
Previous Save Submit Close Application Careers Home NEXT
above and below the required data for the four categories shown above.
Click “Save” to save the data you entered on that page. The message “You have successfully submitted your job application.” confirms only that you entered that page of information into the system. You must click “Next” to continue and complete the entire application process.
1. Current and Prior Employment/Work Experience:
•Enter employment information relevant to your position of interest.
•You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
•After you enter your work experience, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
2. Education/Education History and References:
•Use the dropdown to enter your highest education level. Entering this information is required.
•Then, only college and university information is required. Click the plus sign to the left of the “Postsecondary Education” link to enter that information.
•For country, enter USA or click the hourglass to select another country.
•You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
•Click the plus sign to the left of "References" to enter two professional references.
•After you enter your education information and references, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
3. How did you find out about us/how did you find out about the job?
•After you enter this information, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
4. Online Questionnaire/Application Questionnaire: Answer the questions requiring a yes or no response. After you answer them, click “Submit.” This leads you to the Submit Online Application page.
C – SUBMIT ONLINE APPLICATION
To apply for your selected job: When you reach the “Submit Online Application” page shown below, you must click “I agree to these terms” and then click the “Submit” button at the end of the screen. After you click “Submit,” then you will see this information at the top of your screen:
Thank you for your interest in employment at the University of Baltimore. HR will process your application documents for the search committee’s consideration.
Note: This screen will also show additional information about the selection process and Office of Human Resources contact information.
If you have trouble viewing our job postings or applying for the vacancy, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
External applicants: Review the vacancy announcement at http://www.ubalt.edu/candidate_gateway/erecruit.html and click the external applicant link to apply.
Internal applicants (students taking classes at UB and current employees) with login and password for MyUB: use the internal applicant link, log into My UB, then click the “View or Apply for Job Positions” link on the left.
UB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.
- Never use the Internet Explorer “Back” and “Forward” arrows to navigate. You will lose the information you have submitted.
- To navigate between pages, use the “Next,” “Previous,” and “Return to Previous Page” buttons.
- Use the “Save” button to save your information so you can return to it later and complete your application. Using “Save” does not complete the process to apply for a job opening.
UB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution. The University of Baltimore ("UB" or "University") does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, religion, age, disability, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other legally protected characteristics in its programs, activities or employment practices.