Certificate in Accounting Fundamentals
The graduate certificate in Accounting Fundamentals is designed primarily for individuals who want to strengthen their understanding of accounting or individuals seeking to fulfill some of the accounting requirements to sit for the CPA examination, but not wishing to earn a graduate business degree. The certificate courses may satisfy six elective credits in the MBA program or twelve of the prerequisite credits in the M.S. in Accounting and Business Advisory Services program.
Everything you need to know about the Graduate Business Fundamentals Certificate.
To receive a Certificate in Accounting Fundamentals, you must complete 12 credits of coursework and maintain a cumulative GPA of no less than 3.0 for courses taken in the certificate program. The coursework must be completed after you have received a bachelor's degree or equivalent.
Foundation Course (1.5 credits)
|ACCT 505||Accounting Essentials||1.5||This course may be waived with a previous undergraduate equivalent course.|
|ACCT 510||Intermediate Accounting I||3||Prerequisite: ACCT 505 or ACCT 201|
||Intermediate Accounting II
||Prerequisite: ACCT 510|
|ACCT 512||Auditing||3||Prerequisite: ACCT 505|
Elective Courses (3 credits)
|ACCT 513||Intermediate Accounting III||3||Prerequisite: Completed or concurrent enrollment in ACCT 511|
|ACCT 514||Fundamentals of Income Taxation||3||Prerequisite: ACCT 505|
|ACCT 605||Performance Management and Accounting Controls||3||Prerequisite: ACCT 505|
|ACCT 701||Accounting Ethics||3||Prerequisite: ACCT 505|
Browse the course descriptions of all courses that the Merrick School of Business offers, or view the course catalog
The following is required for Admission into the Certificate Program:
- Application: Complete your application. Questions about the application should be directed to the Office of Graduate and International Admissions (410.837.6565).
- Personal Statement: Detail your reasons for seeking a graduate business education, your short-and long-term professional and personal goals, and how you think this graduate program will help you achieve them. Provide any additional information highlighting unique aspects of your candidacy to the Admissions Committee. Please limit statement to one page of text.
- Transcripts: Submit two copies of official transcripts from all institutions attended. Applicants to the graduate business certificate programs are required to have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0.
- Letters of Recommendation: Provide two letters of recommendation addressing your abilities to successfully complete a graduate business program.
- Resume: Provide a current resume detailing employment history (including dates, titles, responsibilities, and community activities.
- GMAT: The GMAT is not required for applicants to the graduate business certificate programs.
Gainful Employment Information