Here are some guidelines for choosing the right type of computer when deciding between a desktop or laptop.
The reason to choose a desktop over a laptop is usually price a combination of processing power and cost. A laptop with the same processor and memory as a desktop will, for now, cost more than the desktop. That's a detail to consider when selecting for a personal purchase.
Additional advantages to a desktop:
- As mentioned, they are more powerful than laptops of the same price.
- Desktops are more durable and reliable.
- Offer more opportunities for upgrading or expanding hard drive storage.
- Ergonomics tend to be better with a desk system, making them ideal if you'll be working on your computer in your office more than any other location.
- Larger display options.
- Less vulnerable to theft.
- Potentially help you with work-life balance. Even with UB's remote access options, there is less of a drive to connect if you don't have your work computer with you everywhere.
- More onsite service options. Many desktop hardware problems can be fixed by our technicians and onsite. Laptop repairs are more likely to require service offsite.
Why Select a Laptop
The main reason to choose a laptop is for the portability.
Here are some reasons you may want the portability:
- You prefer to or need to work in different spaces. A laptop can be taken to the library, the classroom, home, a trip, the coffee shop.
- You use licensed software that you need to access even if you don’t have an Internet connection.