New features as of May 2020:
- 'External" being added to subject and body of external email sent to UB addresses.
- Feature Update: Office.com home page layout and navigation - complete mid-July 2020. We are updating the layout and application navigation for the Office.com home page and the Office app in Windows 10 based on customer feedback. This horizontal top bar is being moved into a vertical navigation bar on the left side of the page to improve usability. This update has no impact on Office.com or Office app functionality.
- The Planner app in Teams will be renamed with an updated experience powered by Planner and To Do - complete by mid-July. The Planner app in Teams will become the Tasks app. Users will now be able see their individual tasks and team tasks in a single app. We’re also introducing both a list view and a new mobile tasks experience within the Teams app for mobile devices.
Contextual search (Ctrl F) is coming to Teams - complete in mid-July. Teams users will soon be able to search within a specific chat or channel in both the desktop and web Teams clients. Currently, Teams users are unable to search within a particular chat or channel. With this new Contextual search experience, users will be able to search within a specific chat or a channel by pressing Ctrl+F (Windows) or Cmd+F (Mac).
Updated Feature: Spam notifications and alerts in shared mailboxes - rolling this out in mid-May. Before this change, any User who had access to a shared mailbox could only perform quarantine actions by logging in through the security and compliance center.
With this change, any user who has access to a shared mailbox will be able to check/release quarantined mails through email spam notification.
- Microsoft Teams – External people can also join Teams meeting without having a UB account. If you send a Teams meeting invitation and they are external to UB, the user will placed in a Teams lobby when they try to join the meeting. Click on show participants (while in the meeting) and click on the check mark next to people in the lobby to allow them to join the meeting. Information on Teams participant settings are at https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/change-participant-settings-for-a-teams-meeting-53261366-dbd5-45f9-aae9-a70e6354f88e
- Updated Feature: Group chat with up to 250 people - early May to mid-May. We’reincreasing the maximum chat size from 100 to 250 in response to customer requests.
- New Feature: Outlook on the web - Send later - Outlook on the web is rolling out the ability to schedule emails to be sent at a later date and time.
- Microsoft Teams new calling and meeting experience - rolling this out in June. Enabling users to be able to view meetings and calls in separate windows along with the other recently announced features.
- Update to Sharing Links that block downloads - Users can currently create SharePoint and OneDrive sharing links that block the download of Office files. This sharing link allows recipients to read the file but not download it.
- New Feature: Changes to video layout in Teams meetings – By early May. The number of participants that can be viewed simultaneously during a Teams meeting will increase from 4 to 9. Additionally, we are working on increasing this limit even further so that more participants can be viewed simultaneously.
Office 365 Roadmap
The Office 365 Roadmap lists updates that are currently planned for applicable subscribers. Updates are at various stages from being in development to rolling-out to customers to being generally available for applicable customers world-wide, please click here.
Office 365 Benefits
Office 365 is delivered to students, staff, and faculty through the cloud and includes access to Microsoft Office as well as Web-based versions of the Microsoft Office suite. In addition, Office 365 users have access to Skype for Business, OneDrive, and OneNote. Through the cloud service, Office applications can be accessed over the Internet from anywhere at anytime.
Office 365 offers many benefits:
- Provides students the cloud-based services they have been requesting.
- Everyone has 50 GB of storage for email.
- Everyone receives cloud-based personal file storage on OneDrive.
For more information about Office 365, please click here.
Contact the OTS Call Center with questions, comments or feedback.