Certificate in Government Financial Management
Take classes at the Universities at Shady Grove.
The University of Baltimore offers the Graduate Certificate in Government Financial Management at the Shady Grove campus (Rockville, MD).
Upcoming Events at the Shady Grove campus.
Check the UB calendar for upcoming events.
The Graduate Certificate in Government Financial Management is designed primarily for individuals who are interested in careers in government financial reporting, government auditing, and government contracting and budgeting. It also prepares you for the Certified Government Financial Manager and Certified Defense Financial Manager examinations.
Students who wants to strengthen their understanding of accounting or individuals seeking to fulfill some of the accounting requirements to sit for the CPA examination, but not wishing to earn a graduate business degree. The certificate courses may satisfy six elective credits in the MBA program or twelve of the prerequisite credits in the M.S. in Accounting and Business Advisory Services program.
Everything you need to know about the Graduate Government Financial Management Certificate.
To receive a Certificate in Government Financial Management, you must complete 12 credits of coursework and maintain a cumulative GPA of no less than 3.0 for courses taken in the certificate program. The coursework must be completed after you have received a bachelor's degree or equivalent.
The certificate requires ACCT 505: Introduction to Accounting (or its equivalent) as a prerequisite for each course in the certificate program and the completion of the following courses:
Browse the course descriptions of all courses that the Merrick School of Business offers, or view the course catalog.
Foundation Courses (1.5 credits) Waivable based on equivalent undergraduate work.
COurse Title Credits Note ACCT 505 Accounting Essentials 1.5 Waivable based on equivalent undergraduate work.
Required Courses (6 credits)
Course TITLE Credits Note ACCT 702 Federal and State Government Accounting 3 Graduate standing PUAD 622 Public Budgeting and Fiscal Administration 3 Graduate standing
Elective Course (6 credits)
Choose two of the following:
Course TitlE Credit Note ACCT 512
Advanced Topics in Assurance Services
Prerequisite: ACCT 505 or equivalent
Prerequisite: ACCT 512 or equivalent
Performance Management and Accounting Controls
Design of Management Cost and Control Systems
Prerequisite: ACCT 505 or equivalent
Prerequisite: ACCT 306, ACCT 605 or equivalent
Prerequisite: FIN 505 or equivalent
Prerequisite: FIN 605
FIN 715 Investment Analysis 3 Prerequisite: FIN 605
The following is required for Admission into the Certificate Program:
- Application: Complete your application. Questions about the application should be directed to the Office of Graduate and International Admissions (410.837.6565).
- Personal Statement: Detail your reasons for seeking a graduate business education, your short-and long-term professional and personal goals, and how you think this graduate program will help you achieve them. Provide any additional information highlighting unique aspects of your candidacy to the Admissions Committee. Please limit statement to one page of text. Send the statement to email@example.com.
- Transcripts: Submit one copy of your official transcripts from all institutions attended. Applicants to the graduate business certificate programs are required to have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0. Send the transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Letters of Recommendation: Provide one letter of recommendation addressing your abilities to successfully complete a graduate business program. Send the recommendation to email@example.com.
- Resume: Provide a current resume detailing employment history (including dates, titles, responsibilities, and community activities. Send the resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GMAT: The GMAT is not required for applicants to the graduate business certificate programs.
The Merrick School of Business has several program offerings for graduate students.
Master's Degree Programs
M.S in Nonprofit Management and Social Entrepreneurship (offered jointly with UBalt's College of Public Affairs)
M.S. in Taxation (offered jointly with UBalt's School of Law)
Graduate Certificate Programs
The following post-baccalaureate certificates are linked to the MBA program.
The following post-baccalaureate certificates are linked to the M.S. in Accounting and Business Advisory Services program.
Master's Advantage (a post-graduate, non-degree program)