All students who anticipate graduating at the end of the semester must register online and pay the associated fee ($30 for undergraduate students and $40 for graduate/doctoral students) through MyUB (see this helpful guide for how to complete the form). You may also apply in person at the Office of Records and Registration.
• If you register after the deadline, there is a $10 late fee.
• If you do not register by the final date to order garb, you will not be able to participate in the commencement ceremony.
Once your registration is successfully completed, you will receive a notification by mail or through your UB email account. Please review the information immediately and notify the Office of Records and Registration if any information is incorrect. Diplomas will be mailed to the address listed in MyUB approximately eight weeks after degrees are awarded—so please make sure it is listed correctly on file.
Please note: All students who anticipate graduating must complete this step to be considered a UB graduate and receive a diploma..
The university’s practice is for graduates to participate in the ceremony immediately following the completion of all degree requirements. Students completing degree requirements during the winter term are invited to participate in during the May ceremony following their degree completion. While students completing degree requirements during the summer term are invited to participate in the December ceremony following the completion of their degree. In both cases students will be contacted via their UB emails about participating in the ceremony.
Although very rare, a special appeal process is in place for those students with extreme, extenuating circumstances, warranting early participation in the upcoming Commencement Ceremonies.
Examples of circumstances which will NOT be considered for early participation include, but are not limited to:
- previous purchase and/or arrangements of out of town/state/country travel
- anticipation of moving out of town/state/country after the upcoming ceremonies
- illnesses of extended family
- undocumented advising errors (please note: students are ultimately responsible for monitoring their progress toward graduation)
- registration of final coursework in the next available semester, following commencement ceremony
Students who wish to deviate from standard practice by walking prior to degree completion or outside of their scheduled ceremony should review the Procedures for Commencement Appeals Document and complete the Commencement Appeal form, which can be found in the document, during the established application period.