Certificate in Internal Audit Services
The graduate certificate Internal Audit Services is designed primarily for individuals who want to strengthen their understanding of internal audit and prepare for the Certified Internal Auditor examination. Students who pursue this post-baccalaureate certificate may also use the coursework as part of the M.S. in Accounting and Business Advisory Services program.
For more information about the certificate, contact Phil Korb, Chair of the Department of Accounting.
Everything you need to know about the Graduate Certificate in Internal Audit Services.
To receive a Certificate in Internal Audit Services, you must complete 12 credits of coursework and maintain a cumulative GPA of no less than 3.0 for courses taken in the certificate program. The coursework must be completed after you have received a bachelor's degree or equivalent.
The certificate requires ACCT 505: Introduction to Accounting (or its equivalent) as a prerequisite for each course in the certificate program and the completion of the following courses:
Browse the course descriptions of all courses that the Merrick School of Business offers, or view the course catalog.
Foundation Course (1.5 credits) Waivable based on equivalent undergraduate work.
COurse Title Credits Note ACCT 505 Accounting Essentials 1.5 Waivable based on equivalent undergraduate work.
Required Courses (9 credits)
Course TITLE Credits Note ACCT 512 Auditing Accounting System 3 Prerequisite: ACCT 511 ACCT 605
Performance Management and Accounting Controls
Design of Management Cost and Control Systems
Prerequisite: ACCT 505 or equivalent
Prerequisite: ACCT 306 or ACCT 605
ACCT 740 Advance Topics in Assurance Services 3 Prerequisite: ACCT 512
Elective Course (3 credits)
Electives from IT or Operations Management: Choose one or two 3-credit course(s) from the the following:
Course TitlE Credit Note ACCT 512
Prerequisite: ACCT 511
If this course is taken as part of a prior undergraduate degree (e.g., ACCT 401), students will substitute an additional graduate elective listed below.
Database Management Systems 3
Prerequisite: INSS 640 or INSS 605 INSS 671
Systems Analysis and Design 3 Graduate standing INSS 753 Internet and Network Security 3 Prerequisite: INSS 605 OPM 615 Innovation and Project Management 3 Prerequisite: OPM 505 or MGMT 506 OPM 625 Operations and Supply Chain 3 Prerequisite: OPM 505 or MGMT 506 Or another related course from ACCT, OPM or INSS by approval of the program director
The following is required for Admission into the Certificate Program:
- Application: Complete your application. Questions about the application should be directed to the Office of Graduate and International Admissions (410.837.6565).
- Personal Statement: Detail your reasons for seeking a graduate business education, your short-and long-term professional and personal goals, and how you think this graduate program will help you achieve them. Provide any additional information highlighting unique aspects of your candidacy to the Admissions Committee. Please limit statement to one page of text. Send the statement to email@example.com.
- Transcripts: Submit one copy of your official transcripts from all institutions attended. Applicants to the graduate business certificate programs are required to have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0. Send the transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Letters of Recommendation: Provide one letter of recommendation addressing your abilities to successfully complete a graduate business program. Send the recommendation to email@example.com.
- Resume: Provide a current resume detailing employment history (including dates, titles, responsibilities, and community activities. Send the resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GMAT: The GMAT is not required for applicants to the graduate business certificate programs.
The Merrick School of Business has several program offerings for graduate students.
Master's Degree Programs
M.S in Nonprofit Management and Social Entrepreneurship (offered jointly with UBalt's College of Public Affairs)
M.S. in Taxation (offered jointly with UBalt's School of Law)
Graduate Certificate Programs
The following post-baccalaureate certificates are linked to the MBA program.
The following post-baccalaureate certificates are linked to the M.S. in Accounting and Business Advisory Services program.
Master's Advantage (a post-graduate, non-degree program)