All University of Baltimore community members can prepare for changes to classes and campus operations. From this page, you can find technology tools to assist in studying, teaching, and working when you cannot come to campus. Please check back for updates.
Most services that you access through the MyUB portal will continue to be accessible through the portal. This includes functions in:
- My Student Center
- My Faculty Center
- Applications and services in the Tools box (Online Writing Lab, WebNow, SharePoint, Daily Digest, TeamDynamix, etc)
Remote access to some UB services such as PeopleSoft Financials and web CMS is required for employees using those services. Contact the OTS Call Center if you have any questions about Financials or CMS. Outreach is underway to arrange for a remote connectivity solution where needed. A majority of UB employees will be able to continue their regular work activities over regular Internet connections.
Here's a list of tools that can help you teach, learn, and work remotely:
- Teach or meet virtually using Zoom (video, voice, chat)
- Access files remotely
- UB email and calendar
- Download software to your home computer
- Collaborate online
- Receive voicemail in your email
Use Zoom for online class lectures, meetings, and other video or voice conference needs. Zoom provides an experience of being in a room together when you're all in a different location. Note that meeting time limits have been lifted; UB's upgraded Zoom licensing means there are no time limits for users.
- Install Zoom
- Equipment needed for Zoom
- Joining a class session
- Using Zoom: the basics and recording
- Zoom help and training
Information on scheduling and attending classes will be available.
All files on network drives can be accessed from off campus. For ease of access, we recommend the following methods:
Move M drive files to OneDrive
From your campus/office computer, move your M drive files to your UB OneDrive. OneDrive provides a friendlier interface than using the MyUB Portal for network files.
Move group files to cloud storage
Are there departmental, workgroup, or committee files that you work with often? Move those from the network drive to the appropriate cloud storage.
Files on network drives (H, M, R, S, T) are available through the MyUB Portal in Tools > My Files. Because of the friendlier interface in OneDrive and SharePoint, we encourage you to use "My Files" minimally. If you do use MyFiles, sign out of the My Files window when you are done with those files. (There is a limited number of licenses for this access and we anticipate increased usage.)
- Move M drive files to OneDrive
All UB account holders can use and create Microsoft Teams. Teams provide a collaborative work space with chat, meeting, calendar, file storage, and a wealth of add-on applications like planning and analytics tools.
More information will be coming on creating a team. Departments and work groups might want to use Teams as a default communications hub for their internal discussions for when interacting face-to-face isn't feasible.
Consider joining UB's Remote Working Community (coming soon) where members can share resources, tips, and best practices for working remotely and collaborating with distributed teams.
For ease of access, have a copy of incoming voicemail messages sent to your UB email account. Messages would arrive in your inbox as a .wav audio file.
- At the MyUB Portal, go to the Tools section and click the My CallPilot link.
- If you do not see a login prompt, click Continue.
- Log in using your 4-digit extension in the mailbox field and your voice mail password in the password field.
- Click the CallPilot Features tab.
- Click Message Forwarding Rule.
- Click Configure Rule.
- Enter the following settings:
Messages to forward: Voice Messages
Forward to: email address and enter your UB email address
Convert voice messages to: select any WAV option.
- Click Save.
- Check the Enable box.
- Click OK.
Messages forwarded to your e-mail remain in your voicemail box for 14 days.
- The OTS Call Center is your contact for help with remote work tools. Click here for contact info and hours.
- Teaching and learning online questions? Contact CELTT.
- Borrow a laptop or webcam from UB for the semester.
- Options for low cost or free internet options.
- UB Remote Working Community Team Site is a staff-sponsored team site to foster collaboration and knowledge sharing on remote working. Click the link to request to join.