All University of Baltimore community members can prepare for changes to classes and campus operations. From this page, you can find technology tools to assist in studying, teaching, and working when you cannot come to campus. Please check back for updates.
Most services that you access through the MyUB portal will continue to be accessible through the portal. This includes functions in:
- My Student Center
- My Faculty Center
- Applications and services in the Tools box (Online Writing Lab, WebNow, SharePoint, Daily Digest, TeamDynamix, etc)
Remote access to some UB services such as PeopleSoft Financials and web CMS is required for employees using those services. Contact the OTS Call Center if you have any questions about Financials or CMS. Outreach is underway to arrange for a remote connectivity solution where needed. A majority of UB employees will be able to continue their regular work activities over regular Internet connections.
Here's a list of tools that can help you teach, learn, and work remotely:
- Teach or meet virtually using Zoom (video, voice, chat)
- Access files remotely
- UB email and calendar
- Download software to your home computer
- Collaborate online
- Receive voicemail in your email
Use Zoom for online class lectures, meetings, and other video or voice conference needs. Zoom provides an experience of being in a room together when you're all in a different location. Note that meeting time limits have been lifted; UB's upgraded Zoom licensing means there are no time limits for users.
- Install Zoom
- Equipment needed for Zoom
- Joining a class session
- Creating Zoom Sessions in Sakai
- Recording with Zoom
- Zoom at UB
- Zoom help and training
Contact the Call center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-837-6262
All files on network drives can be accessed from off campus. For ease of access, we recommend the following methods:
Files on network drives (M, R, S, T) are available online through MyWork Drive (MWD). Additionally, the H can be found in MyUB using MyFiles icon.
OTS is providing a new service for users to connect to their network storage from off campus. You currently have “MyFiles” which is provided through the MyUB portal web site. We are replacing this service with a newer more robust system that you can connect to directly by visiting https://mwd.ubalt.edu. Then simply use your UB credentials to log in. Once logged in you will see 4 drives mapped for you under the heading “My Folders”. These drives are R, S, T and Home. The R, S and T are exactly as you would have if logged into your campus computer with the same permissions. The drive that displays as “Home.%userID “ is your M:\ drive which only you have access to. We do not have the ability to label this as M due to the software that drives this system. We hope to be able to do so in a future version. The H drive is not available on MWD.
Move group files to cloud storage
Are there departmental, workgroup, or committee files that you work with often? Use MWD for departmental files. You can also use the following.
Free and discounted software such as Microsoft Office, SPSS, and Adobe products are available to students, faculty and staff. Visit these pages for more information:
Common office applications are also available to use online through the web version of Office 365 that don't have to be installed on your device.
All UB account holders can use and create Microsoft Teams. Teams provide a collaborative work space with chat, meeting, calendar, file storage, and a wealth of add-on applications like planning and analytics tools.
More information will be coming on creating a team. Departments and work groups might want to use Teams as a default communications hub for their internal discussions for when interacting face-to-face isn't feasible.
Consider joining UB's Remote Working Community (coming soon) where members can share resources, tips, and best practices for working remotely and collaborating with distributed teams.
For ease of access, have a copy of incoming voicemail messages sent to your UB email account. Messages would arrive in your inbox as a .wav audio file.
- At the MyUB Portal, go to the Tools section and click the My CallPilot link.
- If you do not see a login prompt, click Continue.
- Log in using your 4-digit extension in the mailbox field and your voice mail password in the password field.
- Click the CallPilot Features tab.
- Click Message Forwarding Rule.
- Click Configure Rule.
- Enter the following settings:
Messages to forward: Voice Messages
Forward to: email address and enter your UB email address
Mark original message as read: checked box when Forwarded by this service
Convert voice messages to: select any WAV option.
- Click Save.
- Check the Enable box.
- Click OK.
Messages forwarded to your e-mail remain in your voicemail box for 14 days.
- The OTS Call Center is your contact for help with remote work tools. Click here for contact info and hours.
- Teaching and learning online (Sakai) questions? Contact CELTT.
Student technology request (webcam/laptop)
- Faculty/Staff offsite technology request
- Options for low cost or free internet options.
- UB Remote Working Community Team Site is a staff-sponsored team site to foster collaboration and knowledge sharing on remote working. Click the link to request to join.