All UB students, faculty, and staff are automatically eligible for a full licensed account, and can download the software by logging in to http://ubalt.zoom.us with their UB netID and password. Zoom will also automatically download the first time you try to join a meeting if you have not already installed it.
This guide explains how to join class sessions with or without the software already installed.
Internet Connection – the stronger the better, as weak connections may seriously impact your class experience. Wired connections are generally more stable than WiFi, but both will work.
Web browser – Any web browser should do the trick—Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Chrome all correctly access the Zoom website
Webcam – video capability is not required for attendance but does enhance the experience
Microphone – often built into recent-model laptops and webcams; if you do not have one, they can be checked out from the Media & Classroom Services desk in Business Center 002
Speakers or headphones – headphones are recommended if you’ll be attending the session in an area with background noise
- If your class is fully online with Sakai, you will need to go to your Sakai course and click on the Panopto tab to access the Zoom course sessions.
- If course if not using Sakai. The instructor will send you a Zoom link before your class, you will receive an email containing a calendar appointment and a link. The image below shows how this will look in Gmail’s web app; it may look different through other email services but the basic content will be the same: an appointment and a Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, or Android link.
- Clicking the link will open a Zoom web page. If you have the Zoom application installed on your computer, it will open automatically with this page. If you do not have the desktop application installed, click download & run Zoom or simply follow the onscreen directions to Run the installation file, which should download automatically.
- Downloading and running the Zoom application will automatically install the software on your computer. This installation does not require administrator rights and can be performed on any computer.
- Once the application has installed, you should see a box prompting you to enter your name (shown to the right). Enter your name and click Join.
Note: If you access the Join link from a mobile device, you will be redirected to the application store for that device (App Store, Google Play Store, etc). Simply download the application to get started. You may need to click on the Join link again after the installation has completed.
- Before you fully connect to the session, you will see a window allowing you to select your audio input. Click the large green button to join with your computer’s default microphone. If you do not have a microphone, open the Phone Call tab to use your phone for audio.