Skip to content
Types of Assistantships
  • administrative assistant
  • lab assistant
  • professional intern
  • research assistant
  • Schaefer Center for Public Policy fellow
  • teaching assistant

Graduate Assistantships 

A graduate assistantship can help fund all or part of your tuition, and you'll gain academic, professional or research experience while working on campus and making progress toward your graduate degree or certificate.
  • Graduate assistants are generally hired for a regular academic year or for a semester.
  • Individual departments select their own graduate assistants based on need and funding.
  • Application deadlines vary depending on the department.
  • All assistantships are included in your total financial aid award.


  • Only students currently enrolled in a graduate program are eligible to apply.
  • A minimum 3.0 GPA is required at the time of application.
  • Individual job descriptions will include additional qualifications.

How to Apply

Current and incoming students can use the Career and Professional Development Center's UBworks system to search for and apply to graduate assistantships. All questions about positions should be directed to the sponsoring unit, who will also contact you directly with any follow-up after you’ve applied.

To learn more, download the graduate assistantship handbook.

Last Published 6/16/16