General Education is the foundation of a university education. The courses in the General Education program are designed to provide students with opportunities to develop core knowledge and dispositions across many disciplines and academic areas of study. By helping to foster lifelong learning and curiosity, General Education enriches students’ education at UB and their personal, professional, and civic lives.
A faculty member who is interested in having a course become part of the General Education (GE) or Graduation Requirements (GR) should submit this form directly to the General Education Council Chair after the course has been approved by their department and undergraduate curriculum committees or other appropriate bodies within the school or college. The deadlines for submitting forms to GEC are October 25 and February 25. The general procedure for the certification of courses is outlined below:
- A faculty member completes the approval form for the domain under which they wish the course to be considered and assembles appropriate documentation.
- The paperwork is submitted to the GEC Chair at least one week prior to the next regular meeting.
- The GEC Chair reviews the paperwork and if it is complete, forwards the paperwork to the Council members.
- The Council reviews and if sufficient information is present, votes on the certification request as part of the next regular meeting.
- The Chair notifies appropriate parties of the results and forwards to campus Curriculum Review Committee for final approval and updates to relevant documents/web pages.
The 2016-2021 GE/GR Assessment Plan designates responsibility for assessment of each GE and GR area and also articulates a substantial, faculty-led five-year periodic course review for all GE and GR courses. The general procedure is as follows:
- The Council Chair contacts Program Directors of current GE and GR Periodic Course Review and provides forms in early October.
- Program Directors submit required documentation to the Chair by November 1.
- The Council competes the review process by the beginning of the spring semester and notifies Program Directors of the results.
- Review of Courses includes syllabi review and Area Learning Outcomes Compliance review (approval for up to 5 years).
- Following each GE and GR area review, the Council Chair solicits GE and GR Course Proposals to address gaps or overlaps in mapping; provides forms; and conducts review of materials with GEC following protocol above (approval until next Periodic Course Review for that area).