You can set up Microsoft Outlook to access your UB mailbox, including calendar and contacts, from off-campus computers. You can also access shared mailboxes using this option. If you need to access a shared mailbox after you configure Outlook, contact the OTS Call Center.
Once Outlook has been configured successfully, you will no longer need to use Outlook Web App to access your e-mail remotely.
Outlook 2010 Set-up Instructions
- Open Outlook 2010.
- From the startup screen, click Next.
- If prompted to create a new profile, enter a profile name (e.g. UB Email) and click OK.
Note: If you already have a personal email account configured in Outlook, you can add another by opening Outlook, selecting the File tab and clicking Add Account (see screenshot).
- Click Next if necessary to advance to the Add New Account screen.
- On the Add New Account screen, enter your name, Ubalt email address and password.
- Click Next.
- Once the e-mail server settings are configured (this may take a few moments), click Next.
- When prompted to login, select Use another account.
- Enter your netID (Note: cis\ must be typed in front of the netID)
- Enter your password.
- Click OK.
- Click Finish.
- If prompted, restart Outlook.
- When Outlook restarts, you may need to re-enter your username in the format cis\netID and your password.
Once setup is complete, you will need to turn off Cached Exchange Mode.
- From Outlook 2010, select the File tab. The Info option will be selected by default.
- Select Account Settings and click to open.
- Double click your UB exchange account from the location indicated below.
- Uncheck Use Cached Exchange Mode.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish. Depending on the size of your mailbox, it may take several minutes before all your data is available.
Note: If you're having trouble connecting using the Outlook 2010 desktop client from off campus, you may need to check your Exchange Proxy Settings (File > Account Settings > doub-click your UB exchange account > More Settings > from the Connection tab, click Exchange Proxy Settings). Make sure the appropriate boxes are checked as shown below. Your proxy settings should mirror this screenshot. Click OK and try connecting again.