New features as of September 2020:
- 'External" being added to subject and body of external email sent to UB addresses.
- [Microsoft Teams] Introducing live transcription in Microsoft Teams meetings [MC220987] - complete in early October… Live transcripts in Microsoft Teams meetings will provide another way to both follow and review meeting conversations. You will need to enable the Allow transcription policy (https://docs.microsoft.com/microsoftteams/meeting-policies-in-teams#allow-transcription) in order to have live transcriptions in tenant meetings. Today this policy is only used for post-meeting transcription, but we will use this policy for live transcription as well.
- [General] We’re updating comment notifications for files in OneDrive and SharePoint [MC221211] - Completed by mid-October… Once available, this update will notify document creators of new comments that other people have left in the file that they’ve created. The experience will match the current experience for @mention notifications in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as well as for notifications users receive when other people reply to their comments.
- [Skype for Business] Service reminder: Skype for Business Online is retiring in 12 months [MC219641] - will retire July 31, 2021. At that point, access to the service will end. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/skype-for-business-online-retirement
- [Microsoft Teams] Spotlight an individual video participant for all attendees in a Teams meeting [MC221195] - begin mid September and finish end of September… We are delivering the ability for presenters to lock an individual video feed for all attendees to see during a Teams meeting. Once selected, the individual identified as the spotlight will be the main video shown to all participants.
- [General] Change to the minimum iOS system requirements for Outlook for iOS and watchOS [MC221506] - We are changing the minimum iOS system requirements for Outlook for iOS and watchOS. Outlook for iOS is supported on the two most recent versions of iOS. With iOS 14 currently in beta, Outlook for iOS is preparing to remove support for iOS 12. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/microsoft-365-and-office-resources
- [Microsoft Teams] Teams meetings, end of meeting notification [MC222346] - complete in late September… Once available in your tenant, Teams will alert participants when there are five minutes remaining during any scheduled private or channel meeting. The notification will appear on screen for 10 seconds and disappear without any user action. http://img-prod-cms-rt-microsoft-com.akamaized.net/cms/api/am/imageFileData/RE4FGIP?ver=a8a2
Office 365 Roadmap
The Office 365 Roadmap lists updates that are currently planned for applicable subscribers. Updates are at various stages from being in development to rolling-out to customers to being generally available for applicable customers world-wide, please click here.
Office 365 Benefits
Office 365 is delivered to students, staff, and faculty through the cloud and includes access to Microsoft Office as well as Web-based versions of the Microsoft Office suite. In addition, Office 365 users have access to Skype for Business, OneDrive, and OneNote. Through the cloud service, Office applications can be accessed over the Internet from anywhere at anytime.
Office 365 offers many benefits:
- Provides students the cloud-based services they have been requesting.
- Everyone has 50 GB of storage for email.
- Everyone receives cloud-based personal file storage on OneDrive.
For more information about Office 365, please click here.
Contact the OTS Call Center with questions, comments or feedback.