New features as of July 2020:
- 'External" being added to subject and body of external email sent to UB addresses.
- Office 365 ProPlus became Microsoft 365 Apps - Office 365 ProPlus was renamed to Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise on April 21. New name, same great value, same price – no change to your existing subscription.
Outlook for Windows introduces cloud settings – rollout to monthly channel late June…. The feature is on by default.
When this feature rolls out, the following list of settings will roam across other computers running Outlook for Windows that are logged in to the same Office account. If you do not override this ability, users can change their preferences via the “Store my Outlook settings in the cloud” checkbox under File > Options > General.
Users can disable this feature by unchecking the box, “Store my Outlook settings in the cloud.” https://support.office.com/article/outlook-roaming-options-f5ed5b9b-2df8-4c2d-aed3-d90bb14e5a59
Contextual search (Ctrl F) is coming to Teams - complete in mid-July. Teams users will soon be able to search within a specific chat or channel in both the desktop and web Teams clients. Currently, Teams users are unable to search within a particular chat or channel. With this new Contextual search experience, users will be able to search within a specific chat or a channel by pressing Ctrl+F (Windows) or Cmd+F (Mac).
- (Updated) Feature Update: Teams meeting call and meeting chat size to increase to 300 – Complete by end of June… We’re increasing the new maximum number of participants for Teams meeting and chats from 250 to 300.
(Updated) New Teams meeting setting - require meeting participants to use the lobby – June. After scheduling a new meeting, the organizer will be able to configure meeting options so that only the organizer can bypass the lobby.
After changing the meeting option to Only me, the meeting organizer can manage who is allowed into the meeting.
- Microsoft Teams – External people can also join Teams meeting without having a UB account. If you send a Teams meeting invitation and they are external to UB, the user will placed in a Teams lobby when they try to join the meeting. Click on show participants (while in the meeting) and click on the check mark next to people in the lobby to allow them to join the meeting. Information on Teams participant settings are at https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/change-participant-settings-for-a-teams-meeting-53261366-dbd5-45f9-aae9-a70e6354f88e
- Microsoft Teams - improvements in meetings experience for Safari browser - Complete by early July…. Once this change has rolled out users will be to join all Teams meetings in the Safari browser with Audio and incoming Screen Sharing. Additionally, for group calls, users will be able to start group call, accept group call notification and group call nudge, join group call from chat header, Hold and Unhold group call states, and screen sharing in group call. This applies to Safari 13.1 and newer on MacOS.
- 100 GB File Size for OneDrive and SharePoint - available now… Microsoft is increasing the Max File Size from 15GB to 100GB for a single file. We previously announced this feature late in 2019 and are fully rolling out to ALL tenants at this time. This change applies to OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online. For best performance, we recommend uploading very large files using the OneDrive Desktop client. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/invalid-file-names-and-file-types-in-onedrive-and-sharepoint-64883a5d-228e-48f5-b3d2-eb39e07630fa?ui
- [Microsoft 365 suite] Reminder: Office 2013 Client Connectivity to Office 365 Services [MC218020] - Office 2013 clients’ connections to commercial Office 365 services will not be supported after October 13, 2020. Microsoft will not take any active measures to block older Office clients, such as Office 2013 and Office 2010, from connecting to Office 365 services. However, legacy clients attempting to connect to a modern, always up- to- date cloud service may experience performance and reliability issues. https://products.office.com/office-system-requirements
- [Microsoft 365 suite] Retirement of notifications functionality in all Office 365 web apps except Outlook [MC219002] - RetirementTiming: August 24, 2020. We will be retiring the Notifications feature from the Office 365 web applications. This includes email, calendar and system alert notifications that appear with the bell icon in the header of these apps. Some app-specific notifications will continue to exist in certain applications such as Outlook and Yammer.
- [Office Client Applications] Reminder of changes coming to Office support on October 13, 2020 [MC219159] Office 2016 for Mac - Timing: October 13, 2020. Office 2016 for Mac and Office 2010 will reach their end of support on October 13, 2020. After this date, Microsoft will no longer provide technical support, bug fixes, or security updates. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/end-of-support-for-office-2016-for-mac-e944a907-bbc8-4be5-918d-a514068d0056?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us
Office 365 Roadmap
The Office 365 Roadmap lists updates that are currently planned for applicable subscribers. Updates are at various stages from being in development to rolling-out to customers to being generally available for applicable customers world-wide, please click here.
Office 365 Benefits
Office 365 is delivered to students, staff, and faculty through the cloud and includes access to Microsoft Office as well as Web-based versions of the Microsoft Office suite. In addition, Office 365 users have access to Skype for Business, OneDrive, and OneNote. Through the cloud service, Office applications can be accessed over the Internet from anywhere at anytime.
Office 365 offers many benefits:
- Provides students the cloud-based services they have been requesting.
- Everyone has 50 GB of storage for email.
- Everyone receives cloud-based personal file storage on OneDrive.
For more information about Office 365, please click here.
Contact the OTS Call Center with questions, comments or feedback.