New Alerts and Features as of February 2021:
- [Microsoft 365 Apps] Support for Microsoft 365 Apps (Office ) expires March 9, 2021. [MC237980]- At least 20% of your Microsoft 365 Apps Office ) clients are running version 1908 of the Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel. Each version of the Semi-Annual Channel is supported for 14 months (or for 18 months after it has been released in the Semi-Annual Enterprise Preview Channel, for testing/validation purpose). Semi-Annual Enterprise version 1908 was released in January 2020 and will be supported until March 9, 2021. (for more information please read: Overview of update channels for Office 365 (https://docs.microsoft.com/deployoffice/overview-update-channels) and Update history for Office 365 (listed by date) ( https://docs.microsoft.com/officeupdates/update-history-microsoft365-apps-by-date) ) . To fix this problem you need to update your Office 365 clients to a supported version of the Semi-Annual Channel and keep your devices up to date. We recommend updating to the latest to date (version 2008 more information on the different Channels available: Overview of update channels for Office 365 ( https://docs.microsoft.com/deployoffice/overview-update-channels ).
- [Microsoft Intune] Known Issue: Intune Enrollment MDM Certificate Missing on Co-Managed Devices [MC228536] - We recently had a case escalation and wanted to provide a few more details on a Windows 10 certificate issue (https://docs.microsoft.com/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004#1513msgdesc). There’s a thorough list of what can be impacted in the Windows 10 KB article (https://docs.microsoft.com/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004#1513msgdesc).
- [Microsoft 365 Apps] Introducing translation in Outlook for Windows [MC228685] - Timing: January 2021 - When Outlook detects that a received message is in a language other than that in the user's mailbox's language, it will ask the user if they want to translate it by showing that option at the top of the message.
- [Microsoft Teams] (Updated) Updates to meeting chat membership [MC226407] - A participants access to meeting chat will be dependent on how they were invited to the meeting: Who can see the chat for a single meeting? People who are invited to the meeting or forwarded the meeting invitation after it is scheduled have access to the chat before, during, and after the meeting (up to the 1000-person limit). People who are added to a meeting after it starts using the Invite someone field on the Participants pane (or are provided the meeting join coordinates in another way) will have access to the chat from the time they join to the time the meeting ends. They will not be able to see chat that takes place after the meeting ends. Who can see the meeting chat for a recurring meeting series? People who are invited to the full series have access to the chat before, during, and after the meeting (up to the 1000-person limit). People who are forwarded the invite of a single occurrence of the series or added to a meeting after it starts using the Invite someone field on the Participants pane (or are provided the meeting coordinates in another way) have access to the chat from the time they join to the time that meeting instance ends. They will not be able to see chat that takes place after the meeting ends. Note: These changes do not impact channel meetings.
- [General announcement] Update to Microsoft 365 and Outlook for Windows connectivity [MC229143] - Effective November 1, 2021, the following versions of Outlook for Windows, as part of Office and Microsoft 365 Apps, will not be able to connect with Office 365 and Microsoft 365 services. Office and Microsoft 365 Apps Outlook for Windows Version Office 2013 15.0.4970.9999 and older Office 2016 16.0.4599.9999 and older Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise (formerly Office 365 ProPlus) 1705 and older Microsoft 365 Apps for business (formerly Office 365 Business) 1705 and older https://docs.microsoft.com/officeupdates/update-history-microsoft365-apps-by-date
- [Microsoft Teams] Presenter View in Teams Presentation Sharing [MC229331] - complete by mid-February… Once the presenter selects a PowerPoint file from the Teams Share Tray, Presenter View is opened automatically. The presenter can see the current slide, the slide notes, and a thumbnail strip of all the slides in the deck for easy ad-hoc slide navigation. This view is private to the presenter in control.
- [Microsoft Forms] Microsoft Forms: Email receipt and response download option [MC229934] – Should be available now… When a Forms designer turns on confirmation emails in settings, Forms will send a confirmation email to in-tenant respondents who have completed a form. That email contains a link which allows the respondent to print a copy of their responses. In addition, enabling confirmation emails adds a Print/Download option for all respondents (both within and outside of your organization) on the “Thank you” page they see after completing the form.
- [Microsoft Teams] Meeting Reactions in Teams Meetings [MC230680] - rolling out in late January 2021 and will be complete by early February… In a Teams meeting, participants can choose from four different reaction types – like, heart, applause, and laugh – and send it to meeting attendees from the new reactions and raise hand flyout in the control bar.
- [Microsoft Teams] Add a shared calendar to a Teams channel [MC231108] - mid-January through the end of January 2021… These feature makes it easy for members see to scheduled channel meetings. Select new tab+ at the top of the channel. Find and add Channel calendar from available apps. Teams automatically creates a new post when a channel meeting is created.
- [Exchange Online] Outlook on the web - Message reminders [MC234129] - early March through late July 2021… After Outlook assesses that a user might have forgotten to respond to or follow up on emails, the user might start seeing these messages brought to the top of their inboxes. If applicable, a maximum of one email will be brought to the top of the user's inbox at a time. Users can disable this in Settings/Layout/Message reminders.
- [Microsoft Teams] Introducing history menu in Microsoft Teams [MC234245] - complete in late February 2021… introducing a history menu in the Microsoft Teams desktop clients that displays a user's recently visited locations.
- [Microsoft Teams] Microsoft Teams will queue sent messages when offline [MC235369] - should be complete mid-February 2021… Currently, should a user attempt to send or edit Teams messages while offline, Teams labels those messages as a failure. Once the device is reconnected, Teams prompts users to retry or delete the messages. In phase one of this update, Teams messages that are sent while a user is offline will be queued on the local device. Teams will automatically send the messages when the device resolves connectivity issues within 24 hours.. However, if the message remains in an unsent state for more than 24 hours, the message will fail and Teams will prompt the user to resend or delete the message. In phase two, Teams applies this same capability to editing messages that are in a queued state.
- [Exchange Online] Outlook on the web - New search in compose mode [MC235500] -start rolling out to Standard Release in late Feb 2021 and be complete by late May 2021. This release makes it easier to add files and notes from OneDrive and SharePoint, when composing an email message. Users will now get suggestions for files and notes when they type "/" in an email message.
Office 365 Roadmap
The Office 365 Roadmap lists updates that are currently planned for applicable subscribers. Updates are at various stages from being in development to rolling-out to customers to being generally available for applicable customers world-wide, please click here.
Office 365 Benefits
Office 365 is delivered to students, staff, and faculty through the cloud and includes access to Microsoft Office as well as Web-based versions of the Microsoft Office suite. In addition, Office 365 users have access to Teams, OneDrive, and OneNote. Through the cloud service, Office applications can be accessed over the Internet from anywhere at anytime.
Office 365 offers many benefits:
- Provides students the cloud-based services they have been requesting.
- Everyone has 50 GB of storage for email.
- Everyone receives cloud-based personal file storage on OneDrive.
For more information about Office 365, please click here.
Contact the OTS Call Center with questions, comments or feedback.