New features as of August 2020:
- 'External" being added to subject and body of external email sent to UB addresses.
- Reminder: Outlook on the web - retiring ability to edit text messaging notifications [MC219508] – Users can no longer create or edit text message notifications, and text message notifications will stop automatically on August 31, 2020.
[Microsoft Teams] Speaker attribution in Live Captions [MC219651] - complete by the end of August… We will soon add speaker attribution to captions so that everyone knows who is speaking. Live captions improved accessibility of Microsoft Teams. Identifying who is speaking when there are multiple speakers in a meeting makes live captions more useful and improves comprehension.
- [Skype for Business] Service reminder: Skype for Business Online is retiring in 12 months [MC219641] - will retire July 31, 2021. At that point, access to the service will end. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/skype-for-business-online-retirement
- [General] Move files and easily keep sharing [MC220127] - by the end of September. Move and keep sharing is a new feature that allows your end users to easily re-share a file with all the direct collaborators (e.g., the users who had previously received a share for that file) should it be moved. If an end user chooses to do so, we will provide direct collaborators with the new link or with direct permissions that match those that they had at the source location. https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-365/blog/2020/07/01/introducing-new-onedrive-features-to-share-and-collaborate-across-work-and-life/
- (UPDATE) [Microsoft Teams] (Updated) Microsoft Teams new calling and meeting experience [MC212453] – August – September…. Once available, users will be able to view meetings and calls in separate windows from the main Microsoft Teams client. Additionally, meeting and call controls such as mute, video, chat, leave and others will now be located at the top of the meeting window so that they are always available and never block the underlying content.
[Microsoft 365 suite] Announcements for Microsoft Edge Legacy and for using Microsoft 365 apps and services on Internet Explorer 11 [MC220490] - Microsoft 365 apps and services (excluding Microsoft Teams) will no longer support Internet Explorer 11 beginning August 17, 2021. Timing: End of support for the Microsoft Edge Legacy desktop app will occur on March 9, 2021. Action: To continue using a supported browser, transition to the new Microsoft Edge or another supported browser. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/faq/internet-explorer-microsoft-edge
Office 365 Roadmap
The Office 365 Roadmap lists updates that are currently planned for applicable subscribers. Updates are at various stages from being in development to rolling-out to customers to being generally available for applicable customers world-wide, please click here.
Office 365 Benefits
Office 365 is delivered to students, staff, and faculty through the cloud and includes access to Microsoft Office as well as Web-based versions of the Microsoft Office suite. In addition, Office 365 users have access to Skype for Business, OneDrive, and OneNote. Through the cloud service, Office applications can be accessed over the Internet from anywhere at anytime.
Office 365 offers many benefits:
- Provides students the cloud-based services they have been requesting.
- Everyone has 50 GB of storage for email.
- Everyone receives cloud-based personal file storage on OneDrive.
For more information about Office 365, please click here.
Contact the OTS Call Center with questions, comments or feedback.